The Canton City Water Department will be flushing fire hydrants starting on Tuesday, May 26 and continuing through the week. This work can stir sediment in the water lines for a short time. It can also temporarily cause low water pressure at your property. Before washing laundry, please check the color of your water to avoid problems. If you have any questions, contact City Hall at 987-2881. Thank you for your cooperation.
City Wide Cleanup
Monday – Thursday, June 15th – 18th, 2015
ENTIRE CITY: Citizens, please put items by the curb no later than
Monday, June 15th, 2015 at 7 am.
(If you need assistance getting items to the curb, contact Chad Brown with the Lions Club at 605-610-6566.)
ACCEPTED AT THE CURB:
- non-compressor appliances
- white goods
- lawn ornaments
- lawn mowers and small machines
- auto parts
- household junk
Please have the items sorted so pick up will be easier.
NOT ACCEPTED AT THE CURB:
- household garbage
- construction debris and materials
- cardboard and recyclables
- hazardous waste such as gas, fuels, waste oil, chemicals, paint and varnish.
(Empty paint and varnish containers, however, will be picked up if they are open and dry.)
During cleanup week, the Rubble Site will be open June 15th-20th from 8 am-5 pm.
Compressor appliances, concrete, and tires will be accepted at the Rubble Site at reduced rates June 15th – 20th, 2015.
Furniture and other upholstered items can be taken to the City Shop located at 9th and Lincoln during clean up days.
Yard waste can be taken to the drop off site at the City Shop at any time.
Yard waste and trees can be taken to the Rubble Site during normal operational hours FREE of charge.
Hazardous waste and electronics may be disposed of FREE of charge at the Household Hazardous Waste Facility in Sioux Falls.
The City of Canton’s 2014 Consumer Confidence Report can be found here.
Sump Pump Notice
Please note that sump pumps should not be discharged into the Sanitary Sewer (through the floor, laundry, or toilet drains). It should be pumped out to the yard or to the curb. This must be done to prevent overtaxing the sanitary sewer system & incurring additional costs. If discharge to the yard or curb is not done, house to house inspections will occur & fines assessed. Please call City Hall at 987-2881 with any questions. Thank you for your cooperation.
- Every 3 to 4 years, the City of Canton cleans the sewer mains – also known as “jetting”.
- Beginning after Memorial Day and continuing throughout the summer up to Labor Day, the City of Canton will be jetting the sewer mains.
- If you notice a strong smell in your house after city sewer mains have been cleaned, please run water in ALL drains.
Areas being worked on are as follows:
- Properties West of Dakota Street to the railroad tracks by the Canton Depot.
- Properties South of the High School to 13th
- Jetting of other areas will be done as needed if a problem is suspected.